Tasteful Thursdays- Bacon & Maple Syrup Ice-Cream Recipe by Chef Pawan Bisht
A dear friend and a great chef, when you find in one person, it makes for a lethal combination. Chef Pawan Bisht, Head chef at a very popular restaurant Junglee Billee is a dear friend and upon my request, he has shared one of his most favourite recipes. I am sure you all gonna love it, and watch out this space every Thursday for more recipes.
Bacon and maple syrup ice cream
- Time:-2.30 hrs
- Prep:-2 hr 15 mins.
- Cooking:-15 mins.
- Yield:- 1 quart
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 3-4 strips bacon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup caramelized walnut
- Whisk the egg yolk and sugar in a bowl. Transfer it to a sauce pan and pour the milk. Whisk it well.
- Cook this mixture on a low heat, stirring on a regular interval.
- Once the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon add the maple syrup. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture in a bowl and refrigerate till cold, approx 30 -45 minutes.
- Meanwhile take a pan and put it over the medium gas range, once heated sear the bacon on it till crispy.
- Once the bacon is cooled down cut it into small pieces leaving 1 or 2 strips for the garnish.
- Take out the custard from the freeze and pour the cream in it.
- Add the caramelized walnut, bacon pieces and churn the mixture.
- Pour this mixture in an air tight container and freeze until firm at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve garnishing with crispy bacon strips and caramelized nuts.
For caramelized nuts:-
- Take a pan and put it on a low heat. Add sugar to it and melt it till golden brown colour.
- Add nuts to this mixture. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture on a baking sheet and let it cool.
- Once cooled down break it nicely into small pieces.
- Add it to the ice cream to get the crunch.